Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Thoughts from Galicia: 26.8.17

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.

This post, dear reader, was penned early afternoon of Saturday 26th August, sitting opposite Cervantes' house in Alcala de Henares. For one reason and another, I neglected to post it once I'd found a wifi connection. So I've posted it early on the morning of the 27th, albeit with yesterday's date.

Well, I've spent most of the morning in the comisaría of the policia local – which I eventually found in a street not recognised by Google - reporting the inconvenient disappearance of my wallet between 21.10 last night and 7.30 this morning Presumably picked from my pocket at Madrid airport when I was picking up a friend there last night.

It was an experience, of course, replete with the need to talk to several people, to provide every conceivable detail of myself and the wallet, and to receive and sign several pieces of paper. One of which details my 'rights as a victim'. But at least the policewoman in the Denuncia department was an an amiable anglophile and very chatty. So it wasn't time completely wasted. And it was amusing to find that the police have on file the names of my mother and (dead) father.

But now I have find a way to get some cash when I am without ID which is sufficient in Spain. My car documents with my name all over them are not enough for, say, Western Union, to whom my UK bank is perfectly willing to make an immediate transfer. That's the problem when a country has an ID card system. No one is then prepared to take the slightest risk of you being someone else – even when you pay a motoring fine – and common sense is turfed out of the window.

I had to resort to my UK bank because the bank I use in Spain doesn't man (or woman) its customer service at the weekend. The machine told me.

The police, by the way, were not impressed to hear than my wallet contains a residence card which expired in 2011. Not sure why I gave them that detail.


And that, dear reader, is as much as I feel like writing this morning. My notes can wait for another day. But, meanwhile, a couple of apposite fotos:- 






P. S. I should add that my Madrid-resident daughter came through with the cash I needed and also gave me her bank card and PIN. I was honest enough to tell her I wasn't sure I'd have done the latter for her. But i might now . . . 

No comments: